I bet many of you are out there thinking, “Do I really have time for #GivingTuesday?” To that I say, YES, you do! The tools and tactics are all at your fingertips. And here’s a helpful #Giving Tuesday 2015 prep list to get you on your way.
Remember that other organizations are taking part in this global giving campaign and #GivingTuesday is about visibility and momentum during a vitally important time of year. This is an opportunity for any group that chooses to participate. And there are no fees to sign on.
Perhaps most importantly, #GivingTuesday reminds your constituents about the opportunity for year-end giving. You can be visible along with other organizations seeking donations on December 1. Ask yourself: Wouldn’t I rather donations start rolling in on December 1, than December 29?
In an effort to help you get ahead of this all, Third Sector Today is providing guidelines from our research on #GivingTuesday 2015 to make your preparation a smooth process.
It’s really quite simple to participate in #GivingTuesday: You can participate in easy ways like announce a key donation or new program (more ideas here!) or build a strategy (here’s a great step by step template!) that can become part of your overall fundraising plan, and repurposed annually.
Ready? Follow these steps to define your program goals and map your course to December 1st and #GivingTuesday
- Commit to #GivingTuesday by placing your organization’s profile in the #GivingTuesday site. There’s no obligation to do more; just setting up your profile there and checking out some of the other nonprofits taking part will allow you to dip a toe in the water.
- Set your goal by deciding what you’d like to raise.
- Create a plan to incorporate that goal into your strategy and communications.
- Use the pre-made toolkits for each channel through which you might promote your campaign: Press release, Fact Sheet, Social Media with post and Tweet templates (you just fill in the blanks!),Email examples, and Tips on exploring pro bono and volunteer time donations.
- Use the fact sheet PDF to raise awareness and understanding of the program. This is a great concise and simple outline for board members, staff, volunteers–anyone who needs the basics on #GivingTuesday.
- After #GivingTuesday, be sure to complete the Partner Questionnaire so that your program will be aggregated with the others connected in the hub.
BONUS: Another free tool! Check out this terrific #GivingTuesday campaign planner from Salsa.
- When can you start? Now! Create your timeline using the weeks you have available before Tuesday, Dec. 1.
- When do you end? Use Dec. 1 as your “event date”.
- When do you follow-up? During Dec. 1, you may start thanking donors and continue individually and collectively in your newsletter, website and social media channels including the hashtag #GivingTuesday. Build in tallies, reports, and debriefing following Dec. 1 and you’ll be well on your way for #GivingTuesday 2016!
Need more reasons to offer your donors another time to give? Read 6 Reasons to Engage on #GivingTuesday.
Watch for more tools and tactics for your successful #GivingTuesday right here on Third Sector Today. We will be looking at how deeply engage your prospects before #GivingTuesday and maximize their gifts on Dec. 1.
About the Author: Yvonne Hudson had her very first fundraising experience selling Girl Scout Cookies. Since then, she has participated in aspects of capacity-building including programming, fundraising, grant seeking, and board and audience development for diverse higher education, arts, and other nonprofit organizations as a nonprofit staff member, board member, and volunteer. As principal of New Place Collaborations in Pittsburgh, she loves creating mission-driven solutions for nonprofit clients and causes. Yvonne has written and edited content for TST since our roll-out in 2013 and has followed #GivingTuesday since its inception.