Summer is waning, but, admit it, the anticipation of autumn inspires. The new season signals new plans, tactics, and a calendar full of opportunities. And soon it will be shopping on “Black Friday” and/or avoiding stores by shopping online on Cyber Monday. We ask, then, why not engage on #GivingTuesday?
If #GivingTuesday is not on your calendar as fundraising opportunity on Tuesday, December 1, let’s discuss why it should be.
- It’s easy. All the tools and tactics are provided. In its third year, #GivingTuesday has a track record and now offers the roadmap for your success in its website.
- Track record. Major players are involved in making #GivingTuesday a success for all participating causes. Blackbaud’s report on the track record of #GivingTuesday can be downloaded online. It’s a great tool for discussing this initiative with board and committee members, staff, and volunteers.
- Tools and information are free. Tools including a this video, are geared to orientation and preparation for #GivingTuesday 2015. Register yourself and a least one other person in your fundraising leadership to support buy-in and participation in 2015.
- You’re not in it alone. #GivingTuesday is about community and momentum. Take a look at how regional efforts are coordinated and mutually support everyone’s success here.
- You steer. You are in the driver’s seat and can set the pace and reach of your own #GivingTuesday campaign. From a simple campaign on social media and email to an integrated effort using all channels to reach your prospective donors, your program can match your capacity and resources.
- Driving directions are right here. Third Sector Today is committed to your preparation! This post includes a number of helpful tips to get you prepared in time for the biggest giving day of the year.
Even the smallest nonprofit can engage on #GivingTuesday. And larger organizations can wonderfully build #GivingTuesday from ongoing efforts and momentum.
Consider the #GivingTuesday resources at hand as shared here and consider #GivingTuesday a must-do funding initiative annually. Truly, we can’t think of a reason not to be featured in #GivingTuesday.
Watch Third Sector Today for more tips and tactics to make your #GivingTuesday campaign a success. And mine our prior posts to do your homework on this great fundraising opportunity:
About the Author: Yvonne Hudson had her very first fundraising experience selling Girl Scout Cookies. Since then, she has participated in aspects of capacity-building including programming, fundraising, grantseeking, and board and audience development for diverse higher education, arts, and other nonprofit organizations as a nonprofit staff member, board member, and volunteer. As principal of New Place Collaborations in Pittsburgh, she loves creating mission-driven solutions for nonprofit clients and causes. Yvonne has written and edited content for TST since our roll-out in 2013 and has followed #GivingTuesday since its inception.